Thursday, October 1, 2009

How to get Healthy Hair, pt 2



Ok so now you have your regiment and your products, you need a protective style. Protective styles are low/no manipulation hair styles that keep ends tucked away or up off of you clothing. Since the ends of the hair are the oldest and weakest part they should be treated like silk. Keeping your ends happy and healthy is the best way to retain length. Having a protective style is a key component in starting your hair journey. Now of course there are many low manipulation styles you can wear with your hair down, but I would advise most beginners to stick with the protective styles at least until your hair is healthier, and then you can try as many roller sets and Bantu knots and braid outs as you like.

Some of the most common examples of protective styles are buns, pony tails, wigs, sew-ins and braids. Just remember with the latter you still have to care for your real hair underneath. My protective style of choice are wigs. I love wigs because you get the look of freshly relaxed and curled/flat ironed hair without actually having to use heat. I also love wigs because you can get them in so many different styles and colors and textures. I usually keep my hair under my wigs braided in 2 French braids, I can’t cornrow to save my life. Each night I take the braids down and moisturize with HE none of your Frizzness(I don’t think they make it anymore) and seal with my oil mix. In the morning I spritz it with my aloe vera, rosewater, glycerin, neem oil spray and put my wig cap on and my wig and go.

If you are not comfortable with wigs you can also go the sew-in/braids route. The one thing I want to stress with that is make sure you keep your hair under moisturized and your scalp clean! One of the biggest reasons I prefer wigs is that I’m not sure that I can keep my hair moisturized under the sew-in well enough o not have any setbacks but a lot of woman do it every day so it is possible. Just do your research.

Then there is of course the bun. This is probably the easiest and most common protective style, but for a lot of us women with shorter hair buns are not always the easiest or cutest styles for us. For that I would suggest trying a Phony Pony or a clip on bun. I also found this method on youtube. Check it out. This woman has some amazing videos so check here channel as well:



If you already have long hair, or if you want to spice up a boring bun, check out this video. It is a great Bun tutorial, and she has many more on her page. She has great tips to jazz up plain buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment