Saturday, March 12, 2011

Switched!



Switched
By Amanda Hocking

Switched is very much a coming of age story about a young girl who always knew she was different, but never dreamed of just how different she was. Wendy and her brother Matt were raised by their aunt Maggie since Wendy was 6 years old, the year her mother tried to kill her. Wendy feels like she doesn’t belong, which most people attribute to the fact that her mother was a homicidal lunatic who refers to her as a monster , but the new boy in school, Finn Holmes, knows the truth.

Now Wendy has to decide what to do with her new found identity, and if she can leave the life and only family she’s ever known behind in order to discover her true self.

*SPOLIER* Stop reading if you don’t want to know what happens





This book is about trolls. NO really she’s a troll. I tried to give the whole troll thing a chance I really did, but I’m just not buying it. I can understand shying away from the whole vampire/werewolf thing but TROLLS? Beautiful troll people who live in palaces and take peoples kids eh/ not for me. Its not terrible, but I just can’t relate to Wendy, or any character in the book for that matter. Wendy is not really the Heroine I expected her to be, she is more or less a whiney brat and she doesn’t do ANYTHING. I can’t get behind her.

The book is the first in a trilogy but I’m not sure if I want to invest my time into another disappointing read. Mostly I feel like the book was kind of rushed. Hocking really didn’t really take the time to set up any character development or any of the settings. It was vague and left me wanting more.

Switched wasn’t all bad. I really liked the love story between Finn and Wendy. The whole princess falls in love with the help, gets me every time. I also liked the Queen. She’s a bitch, but a believable one. She tells it like it is, and doesn’t hold back. I wish she would have developed the relationship between Wendy and her real mother more,

All in all this book just wasn’t for me, and it sucks because I think that it’s a solid plot, but the execution was off.

No comments:

Post a Comment